Friday, September 25, 2009

Product Review: Zingerman's Bakehouse Brownie Party



Name: Brownie Party
Company: Zingerman's Bakehouse
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Price: $9.99 for four-pack

Brownies. No, wait, let's try that again. Brownies. That's better. Thick like a cake, chewy like a cookie, chocolately like... chocolate, brownies are perhaps the ultimate desert. I'm aware of the somewhat played-out Internet meme of Cake vs. Pie (fact: cake is better) but brownies might be better than both of them COMBINED. Especially when they're Zingerman's made.

Don't know Zingerman's? If you live in Ann Arbor, you should; if you come to Ann Arbor, you will. The company is the culinary darling of the city, offering up premium, tasty breads, sweets, and meats. Their Roadhouse is a comfort-food lover's paradise. Don't believe me? They have a section on their menu devoted to mac and cheese. Now you believe me.

I picked up their Brownie Party sampler bag to get a little taste of everything they have to offer. And to get fat. Always getting fat. *cry*



The bag consists of Zingerman's four usual suspects, (clockwise, from top left) Buenos Aires, Black Magic, Pecan Blondie, and Magic. They have other seasonal variations, but I believe these four are available year round for your snacking emergencies.



Let's go in order! The Buenos Aires consists of two Black Magic brownies with a layer of dulce de leche sandwiched in the middle, topped with praline almonds and burnt sugar. Get all that? Yeah, this thing is decadent. Nigh heavenly, even. The brownies are chewy and delicious on their own, but the dulce de leche in the center really makes it. It has a cool, sweet quality that brings the whole package together into a soft, sticky delight. All while managing to not be too rich!

Rating: 8/10 - Creamy and cool with a pleasant sweetness that's not overwhelming.



The Black Magic is the neutered version of their "regular" Magic brownie. No nuts, that is. It has a rich chocolate flavor, but what really impresses me is the texture. The perfect brownie texture: soft and CHEWY but with a slight crumbliness to it. Don't ask me how you get that texture; I'm no baker. But this brownie nails it. Moist and tasty, if not as fancy as the Buenos Aires.

Rating: 7/10 - No surprises, but uncommonly well done.



The Pecan Blondie. "Pecan praline in a butterscotch brownie, topped with sea salt." That's Zingerman's description. Mine is "Forged in the depths of Hell by Satan's own personal baker with the sole purpose of tempting mankind down the path of sin and sugar and pecans." Can I convey how FANTASTIC this thing is? I don't think words are adequate. My eyes rolled into the back of my head when I bit into this. A touch of salt precedes an explosion of buttery pecan awesomeness swirling with cool, gooey caramel notes that don't quit until you're done slowwwwllllyyyy chewing because YOU WILL SAVOR THIS BROWNIE. Simply put: this thing is evil and cannot be resisted, so don't try.

Rating: 10/10 - Kittens riding on the backs of dolphins through an ocean of rainbows while Solsbury Hill plays in the background.



Poor ol' regular Magic brownie has to follow Pecan Blondie. I've expended the bulk of my wordpower, so I'll just say this was my least favorite.

Rating: 6/10 - I'll just say this was my least favorite.

Overall Rating: 9/10 - A hefty price for four brownies, but all are pretty damn good, and odds are good one will AMAZE you like Pecan Blondie did to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment