Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Beer Review: New Holland Sun Dog Amber Ale



Name: Sundog
Brewery: New Holland Brewing Company
Location: Holland, MI
Variety: Amber Ale
ABV: 5%
Price: ~$10

I'm a pretty big fan of amber ales. They're usually a reliably tasty and full-bodied - a good choice for when you're not sure about some of your other options. I haven't had anything from New Holland Brewing Company before, so I figure the Sundog should at least be a safe bet!



The beer pours rich, clear and, well, dark amber! The head is small and off-white, fading quickly. As for the scent, I couldn't really detect one! Either the scent is very light or my nose is very broken, but I smelled and smelled and couldn't pick up on any notes at all. This isn't really much of a criticism of Sundog, it's just kind of surprising.

As for taste, Sundog is a nice, crisp amber. The overall taste profile is malty and lightly caramel with a hint of bitterness on the finish. This isn't a particularly complex beer, but it is satisfying. I'm interested in trying some of New Holland's other varieties, but with Sundog I'm only mildly impressed.

Rating: 6/10 - May buy once in awhile

No comments:

Post a Comment