Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Product Review: Clancy's Fancy Xtra Hot Sauce



Brand: Clancy's Fancy
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Flavor: Xtra Hot
Price: Approx. $7 for a small, $11 for a large.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I love spicy stuff. Peppery, fiery, smoky, tangy, no matter what you call it, I wanna eat it. The best dish is one that is accompanied by a bottomless glass of water and a stack of napkins to wipe your mouth AND nose.

OK that's gross, but if your sinuses are put through the wringer even a LITTLE then it's not really hot sauce!

That's why when I was offered a free bottle of Clancy's Fancy hot sauce by a lady doing a demo, I chose the spiciest kind available, Xtra Hot. Clancy's Fancy has been making their hot sauce in Ann Arbor for about 30 years - Colleen Clancy first made it in an attempt to make vegetarian pepperoni (is that really surprising?) So, if it's been around that long, there must be something to it, right?

It is indeed a very good sauce. It's very tangy with garlic and citrus flavors hitting you right up front. This is backed up from a hint of sweetness and salt and the whole thing finishes up with some strong-but-not-overwhelming heat. I like that the sauce is so balanced between flavor and heat - I'm reminded of the ordeal I had with Big Ten Burrito's Diablo sauce, which was so hot that my tongue physically HURT even after three Cokes and about four pieces of gum. That is not what you call a balanced sauce.

Thankfully, Clancy's Fancy is quite tasty but doesn't skimp on the Xtra heat. It's also quite versatile. I've tried it thus far on hot dogs, nachos, pizza, chicken, and pork cheeseburgers and it enhanced each dish, especially the hot dogs. At around $6 to $7 for a small bottle it's a little more than I would usually pay for hot sauce, but but the bottle lasts a good while and the ingredients are top notch. Give it a try!

Rating: 8/10 - Will buy again

No comments:

Post a Comment