Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recipe Review: Chiptole Deviled Eggs



Chipotle Deviled Eggs
Recipe Link: Epicurious

1 dozen local eggs - Grazing Fields Farms Co-op out of Charlotte, MI
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise
2 to 3 teaspoons of chopped canned chipotle peppers
Cilantro to taste

Preparation

Devil Dancer, deviled eggs; I know my train of thought is difficult to follow here, but stick with me. I was looking for a nice, simple snack recipe to complement the previously reviewed Devil Dancer and found this on Epicurious, my go-to site for new food ideas. Four ingredients! Making these will be as easy as owls are smart, right?



Step one, boil the eggs. OK, already I'm in trouble. I've never boiled eggs before! I love boiled eggs and I eat them frequently but I've never really actually 100% cooked them. So, I decide to follow the recipe as it reads in the link. I pop the eggs in the pot, crank up the juice, and wait for the little brown fellas to boil.



While the eggs keep on boilin', I decide to chop the peppers as instructed. Any old can of chipotle peppers will do. Most grocery stores should have a few cans under $2 in the Mexican section.



Ahhh, haute cuisine.



I pull out about three or four decent sized peppers and get to dah choppah. Really, the end result is more a pepper paste than actual chopped peppers. But seeing as how this is getting mixed in with mayo and egg yolks, it seems to be the right consistency.



I boil the eggs as instructed and then dump them in a big ol' ice bath and let them cool down. After about 20 minutes or so, I crack open a test egg and promptly get runny whites and yolk all over my hands. Ack, that's not good. I maybe didn't cook them long enough or let them sit long enough and I'm betting its a combination of both, so I boil them some more and this time stick them in the fridge for a few hours. I'll show you, eggs!



Or, more accurately, they'll show me. Peeling these eggs was an unholy nightmare of fffffffffffail. The shells and the whites were fused together with some sort of hybrid of adamantium and super glue, and as a result, I lost a LOOOOOOTTTTTT of whites off these eggs. Total mess. Egg lovers should avert their eyes.



Look at those blurry eggs! What a joke! The top one is just a yolk sitting in like a sling of whites, like a globe perched atop a teetery stool. Honestly, I did my best here and I have no clue what went wrong. Most of the eggs were at least salvageable, but damned if I didn't do these fine, farm fresh, free range beauties a great injustice.



*sigh* OK, next you halve the eggs from the top to the bottom and spoon out the yolks. Thankfully, this was easy even with my janked-up eggs. If you screw up this part, even I can't help you.



Put the yolks in a bowl and mash 'em up, Dan. The recipe says to use a thin grater, but at this point I'm super pissy so I wing it and use a spoon. So long as the consistency of the yolks is fine enough, it should be OK. Also, look at that mayo. He's so ready to get in there. Like an overanxious JV quarterback.



Go go mayo! Your whole family and that sick kid from the hospital are all cheering you on! Win it for Timmy!



Ooooo, and Heinz "All-American" Mayo gets sacked by Chipotle "Three Teaspoons of Hurt" Peppers.



Other commenters on Epicurious suggested mixing in the cilantro with the actual egg mix, so that's what I'm doing. I don't have time for fresh herbs or neat stacking!



Mix it all up until the consistency is roughly even...



And glom it on in on those egg halves! The recipe calls for using a frosting-bag type thing to get a nice shape to the filling, but whatever. Since I'm not catering a luncheon for the Ann Arbor League of Women Voters I decide I can be a little lax with the presentation.

But anyways! Despite my shortcomings with the eggs, they're actually quite tasty! They have a good tangy, smoky flavor upfront followed by a good little amount of heat from the peppers. I wasn't a huge fan of the mushy consistency of the whole package, but I get the feeling that's what you get with deviled eggs. I don't expect to make these very often, but I'd definitely recommend them to someone with more egg skills than me.

Rating: 6 out of 10.

P.S. These were created to pair with the Devil Dancer, but don't even try it. In fact, I'd recommend not pairing ANY food with Devil Dancer. It's way too strong and flavorful of a beer, and even with the tasty spice of the eggs fresh on my tongue, one sip of Devil Dancer kicked it right off my palate and into oblivion.

Devil Dancer - it doesn't play well with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment