Saturday, October 17, 2009

Product Review: Achatz Handmade Pie Co. pumpkin pie



I've already pontificated about my love of the fall season, so I won't reprint my lengthy love letter here. Long story short, fall is awesome. OK, this one has been a little rainier and cloudier than I would like. But I find a certain beauty in the unpredictability of weather. Mankind has gotten very good at stripping the wildness from the world, but weather remains unbroken. Hell, if climate change predictions are correct, then our weather is going to get even MORE crazy. Just think of weather as Mother Nature's own personal A-Team. (I think Dirk Benedict would be hail storms.)

What's that? Oh, I'm rambling again aren't I? Sorry about that. *ahem* PIE! Not just pie, but pie in the fall! And you know what that means? PUMPKIN PIE! Possibly the most beloved of all the pies, pumpkin pie is one of the great fall foods. I suppose you COULD make pumpkin pie in the spring, but that would be like celebrating Christmas in July. Just plain wrong. I'm not much of a baker, though, so today I'll be sampling the pumpkin pie by Achatz Handmade Pie Co. based out of Armada, MI.



As you can see, my 8-inch pie cost $11.99 at Arbor Farms Market in Ann Arbor, MI, but Achatz pies seem to be available across Southeastern Michigan so prices may vary widely. Twelve dollars seems a little high to me for a small-sized pie, but Achatz only uses ingredients that are grown and produced in Michigan (when possible). That's a practice for which I will gladly eat the cost.



I'll also gladly eat the pie! Doesn't that look like heaven? You can always tell when an item of food has been prepared with love and care - regardless if it's one pie or one of a thousand.

It's also pleasantly yummy! Of course, I've never really had a bad piece of pumpkin pie before, but I'm sure they exist (Denny's, I'm looking in your direction.) I'm afraid my mom's and grandma's pies still beat it, but for a pre-made dessert it's a real winner.

The best part is actually the crust. Pumpkin pie is heavy and it typically has a heavy crust to go with it. Not so here. It's light, fluffy and flaky and was clearly hand-pressed. Give it up for Achatz, their name doesn't lie.

Rating: 8/10 - No baking skills? No problem! Take it to a party and bask in the utter failure of the loser who brought the cherry pie.

E-mail me at mibeerguy@yahoo.com and I'll mail you a piece of pie. In an envelope.

1 comment:

  1. i dont like none o' dat pumpkins gimme sum o' dat bluebarrah wit ice cream ya hurd

    ReplyDelete