Friday, October 2, 2009

Product Reviews: Garden Fresh Gourmet Blue Corn Tortilla Chips and Artichoke Garlic Salsa



Confession time! I love junk food. I know probably figured this out already, with the nachos and brownies and the beer and the what-have-you. I swear! I'll do a healthy, vegan, localvore, fair-trade review sometime soon. But today.... CHIPS!

Name: Blue Corn Tortilla Chips and Artichoke Garlic Salsa
Company: Garden Fresh Gourmet
Location: Ferndale, MI
Price: $4-5 for 13 oz. bag of chips, $3-4 for 16 oz. salsa



Fun fact: there's no blue food! Blue corn and the subsequent chips they produce are more of a purplish-ink color. I guess "blue" sells better than "inky."

Way back in my nachos review I claimed that Ann Arbor Tortilla Factory makes the best nacho chips anywhere. After trying the Garden Fresh Gourmet variety, I stand by this statement. The GFG chips are reasonably tasty, but there's not much here to distinguish them from the cheapie chips we're all familiar with (other than the GFG ingredients are probably better). Mostly I'm disappointed in the texture. They're thin and a little crumbly. I like my chips to snap and crack audibly when I bite them, and the crunch just isn't there.

The salsa, however, is lovely. Garlic is probably one of my favorite food "ingredients," up there with olive oil and kosher salt. This salsa is chock full of it, with visible pieces of cloves and artichoke floating around in a familiar pico de gallo base. The heat is mild, but the flavor is strong. Make sure you've got some gum handy if you happen to eat this on a date.

Chips Rating: 6/10 - Not bad for the price, but nothing special by themselves.
Salsa Rating: 8/10 - Death breath never tasted so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment